BASIC SURF INSTRUCTOR (Level 1)
Level 1 Surf Instructor
The Irish Surfing Association Basic Surf Instructor develops skills in the novice participant. Working in white water to teach basic surfing skills including introduction to equipment, beach safety, paddling catching waves, popping up, riding white water and traversing white water. These skills are taught on soft surfboards in white water conditions at beach breaks. This course is aimed at individuals with surfing experience who wish to teach basic surfing techniques to the novice.
Novice Surfer Definition
Learning to paddling, catching waves, standing up, ride white water waves and traverse white water.
The course aims to equip the instructor with the skills and knowledge to develop skills in the novice participant.
The Level 1 Instructor will operate a 1:8 instructor/ student.
• Applicants must be 18 years or older
• Applicants must hold a current Beach Lifeguard or Surf Instructor Beach Award
• Applicants must pass a surfing assessment prior to attending the Level 1 Surf Instructor Course.
• Must have completed the ISC 3hr Code of Ethics & Awareness Workshop (REP)/ Safe Guarding Children (NI)
• Must complete our Garda Vetting Application (REP)/ Access NI (NI)-The Irish Surfing Association deems the following offences as grounds for refusing a Surf Instructor Application- Offences of a sexual nature, Ill treatment or neglect of children, Offences relating to child pornography, Offences against the person, Drugs Offences, Domestic Violence, Breaches in Trust, Offences against the state, Offences against property, Any other offences that the Irish Surfing Association deems unacceptable
The Level 1 Surf Instructor Course is run over two days and involves practical and theory modules.
To complete certification a candidate must:
Successfully complete Level 1 Surf Instructor Course and ISA Garda Vetting, complete a log of 20 practical sessions instructing to be verified by a currently qualified. Forward a copy of a valid beach lifeguard certificate/ Code of Ethics Cert and two passport size photos to the ISA. The Level 1 Award is valid for 3 years OR until candidate’s beach lifeguard certificate expires. On completion a candidate will received a Level 1 Surf Instructor card and certificate.